Wednesday 14 February 2018

Love the giver, more than the gift.




So, today is the day to "profess love to one another" and shower loved one's with "gifts". Well amidst all this (commercialized) festivities, let's ponder on something,

Why do we tend to love the gift more than the giver?


Shouldn't we appreciate the giver instead of whatever was given to us?  It might be a "well thats an obvious statement" to some people, but its something i've been pondering lately, because although it's an obvious thing, we rarely do that- do we?

Well I know I'm slacking in that department. 

The biggest example is when something happens / I receive something. I acknowledge the person who gives it to me, but often i forget to think about the ultimate source it came from, God. 

The person, was a means through which God has given me the gift, and I'm always profusely thanking whoever gave me the gift be it a material thing or an opportunity, yet i always forget to reflect back to the ultimate source, that everything comes from God. And often, I am so happy with the gift I forget to thank whoever gave me the gift, and I pay more attention to the gift, than to the person who gave it to me. 

So my recent reflections has led me to the realization that I should rightfully love the giver more than the gift. 

A really simple example, an example of a gift that when we get, we tend to forget about everything and only think about the "gift", is a lover/ spouse/partner. 

I think of it as a gift, more over if it is your spouse, or a partner who is very good to you, who supports you and adds to your life for the better. 

Naturally, as humans, we tend to love this person so much, that we forget- God was the one who made it possible for you to meet this person in the first place. So in a sense, the presence of your lover/ spouse was in actuality, a gift from God.

So going back to the statement, we should then love the giver (God) more than the gift(boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife)

Love God more than anything else, even more than the best gift you have, even if it is your lover/spouse. Because when you reflect back,everything-every single thing, comes from God, from Allah who is  Al-Wahabb (the bestower) and Al Razzaq (the provider)


Wallahualam.

*any lacking in this piece comes from me, as this is my reflection that I am sharing so in no way am i trying to show superiority or piety. It is also not intended to offend or undermine anyone. This post is very much a reminder to myself which I hope anyone who reads benefits from, Inshaa'Allah. 


No comments: